Saturday, 13 June 2015

Taplejung landslide toll hits 35; 22 still unaccounted for

The death toll from Wednesday’s massive landslides in Taplejung district has climbed to 35. Twenty-two others remain still unaccounted for since the disaster.

Multiple landslips triggered by incessant rainfall swept away a number of settlements in Thinglabu, Liwang, Lingtep, Khokling and Santhakra VDCs on Wednesday night.

Rescuers took out five bodies of a family from the debris in Thinglabu. Similarly, bodies of three siblings, including a three-month baby girl, were recovered in Liwang.

Personnel from Nepal Army, Nepal Police and Armed Police Force deployed in the affected area have rescued 13 people from Lyamlyam in Liwang. The victims were trapped in landslides there. Chief District Officer Damaru Prasad Niraula said the rescued have been settled at a safe place in Khogling.

According to Deputy Superintendent of Police Shantiraj Koirala, 27 bodies were handed over to the families.

The local administration said the security personnel reached the affected area and rescued the victims. The rescuers reached the worst-hit area on foot.

An NA helicopter that reached the district, however, returned to the Capital due to some technical glitches in its engine. CDO Niraula said they requested the Home Ministry to send a bigger chopper to aid the rescue efforts.

Eight people, who sustained serious injuries in the landslides, had been airlifted by the Army. One of them is receiving treatment at Taplejung

District Hospital while the seven others were taken to the BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences in Dharan.

Meanwhile, the local people have urged the Water-induced Disaster Management Committee to relocate the displaced from Dobhan Bazaar. The residents there are at a high risk as the flooded Mewa river has been eroding the embankment there. A lot of damage was caused downstream as the river blocked for about half an hour burst the dam created by a landslide.

Saturday 13 June 2015


Post a Comment