Wednesday, 10 July 2013

City Light Hotel collapse toll rises to 17

The death toll in the City Light Hotel mishap rose to 17 as four more bodies were dug out on Tuesday from the debris of the hotel on RP Road in Secunderabad that collapsed on Monday morning.

The four victims were identified as Ali Raza Tarayakar alias Ali Raza Kirmani, 55, the hotel manager, R. Venkatesh, 35, the tea master, K. Kiran Kumar, 26, the biryani master, and K. Suresh, 24, who worked as a salesman in a textile shop.

One hotel employee was alive when he was pulled out on Monday midnight. The 34-hour rescue operation came to an end on Tuesday evening.

The fire department and police were reinforced by the Nation Disaster Rescue Force and Quick Reaction Team.

NDRF officials said on Tuesday evening that the rescue operation was finished as there were unlikely to be any survivors still trapped beneath the rubble.

“The NDRF officials informed us that it is highly unlikely that anyone is still trapped under the debris. Thus the rescue operation is finished. However, cleaning up the debris will go on,” said North Zone deputy commissioner of police R. Jayalakshmi.

The owner of the hotel, Syed Hassan Boluki, against whom a case has been booked for negligence, is yet to be arrested.

Jayalakshmi said that the rescue mission was the priority. “On Wednesday, the full fledged investigation into the matter will begin. After detailed investigation, we will see if he has to be arrested.”

Syed Hassan, who lost his son and another relative in the building collapse, is undergoing treatment in a private hospital after suffering a heart stroke.

Relatives of the deceased took possession of the bodies after the post-mortem examination. “We have handed over 12 bodies so far after post-mortem examination. The three remaining bodies are yet to be identified,” said an official from the Gandhi Hospital mortuary.

Among the injured people, all are said to be stable except for one Nagesh, who has undergone major surgery and is said to be critical.

Though rescue operations have been ended, two people are still missing. Ashok. K, a resident of Warasiguda, and Ramesh from Maharashtra, both City Light Hotel employees, are not yet traced. The family members of Ashok have lodged a complaint with the Mahankali police.

Officials said that there is no possibility to find any more dead bodies.

Wednesday 10 July 2013


Post a Comment