Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Coal mine accident in China kills 22 people

Twenty-two people have been killed at a coal mine in China in what local authorities are calling a “gas incident”.

The accident occurred at the Yanshitai coal mine in China’s south-western municipality of Chongqing at 5:40pm on Tuesday, state media agency Xinhua said.

A total of 28 people were working at the time of the incident, but six managed to escape.

Rescuers have recovered the bodies of the deceased miners, Xinhua said.

The mine is owned and operated by state-owned Nantong Mining Company.

China's mines are the deadliest in the world because of lax enforcement of safety standards and a rush to feed demand from a robust economy.

The accident comes after 20 people died in April when a coal mine in China's southwest Yunnan province suddenly flooded, leaving miners trapped.

Last year, China recorded 589 mining-related accidents, leaving 1 049 people dead or missing, according to the government.

But both the number of accidents and fatalities were down more than 24% from 2012.

Death figures for 2012 and 2011 stand at 1300 and 1973 respectively.

In an effort to lower numbers, the government launched a 'nationwide safety overhaul' to develop better working conditions on site and in turn prevent more deadly accidents.

As part of the plan it announced 2000 coal mine would be closed by the end of this year.

Wednesday 04 June 2014


Post a Comment