Tuesday 15 October 2013

150 bodies found in mass grave in northern Bosnia

More than 150 bodies have been recovered from a mass grave found in Tomasica near Prijedor in northern Bosnia and Herzegovina, more than 20 years after the war which claimed the lives of more than 11,500 people.

The latest mass grave to be uncovered was believed to have contained 1,000 bodies when it was originally dug in the summer of 1992, but it is thought some may have been moved to another mass burial site and it will take months of digging to establish how many bodies remain at Tomasica.

The war in Bosnia saw Europe's worst mass killing since the Holocaust during World War Two as around 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed by the Bosnian Serb forces, many died in detention camps.

The conflict also saw the longest siege in modern history. The Serb siege of Sarajevo went on for 44 months - 11,825 days - longer than the World War II siege of Leningrad, now St. Petersburg, Russia.

As forensic teams continue to uncover bodies in a mass grave in northern Bosnia, one woman has said that she is still waiting for the bodies of her brother and husband.

Nasiha Klipic told ITV News: "I have come to this cemetery for many years and I see each and every one of these buried people as my brothers – as my family.

"But I would feel a lot better if my brother and my husband finally found their final resting place here."

However, she said that even if the bodies of her relatives were found she would not rest until all those responsible were held to account.

"It would not be the end for me, the end for me would be when all the war criminals are arrested.

"I will not stop until the day I die and I raise my children not to stop until the day they die, until all the war criminals are arrested. Nothing less than that would be the end for me."

It is hoped further evidence found at the huge grave site could help the trials of Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic, who are currently facing charged at The Hague.

Tuesday 15 October 2013

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-10-14/mass-grave-found-in-northern-bosnia/

0 comments:

Post a Comment