Wednesday 7 November 2012

Victims trapped as Ghana mall collapses

A SIX-STOREY shopping mall has collapsed in the Ghanaian capital Accra and an unknown number of victims are feared trapped in the rubble, witnesses and an AFP correspondent say.

"I was very close to the mall because I was going to buy something only for me to see the building coming down," witness Ama Okyere told AFP.

"I had to run for my life. I was so terrified. I believe there are lots of people trapped under this because this is a heavily patronised shoping mall in the area."

The newly built six-storey Melcom shopping complex is opposite the Neoplan Assembly Plant at Achimota and the Agricultural Development Bank(ADB).

The collapsed shopping complex is on the same compound with Fidelity Bank, Achimota branch,near the Standard Chartered Bank and another shopping mall, Sarlinesta.

According to a correspondent from Peace FM, the police, fire service personnel as well as Ambulances are at the scene with excavators rescuing those trapped as well as those feared dead.

The AFP correspondent witnessed two people being brought out of the rubble alive, with rescue workers arriving at the scene.

Officials have not commented so far and the cause of the collapse of the Melcom shopping centre was not immediately clear.

"I was on my way to school and all of a sudden heard a big bang and people shouting, only for me to see that the shopping mall has collapsed," said another witness, John Owusu.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/victims-trapped-as-ghana-mall-collapses/story-fn3dxix6-1226512637370

0 comments:

Post a Comment